Its name, of historical origin, is due to the victory of the Spanish over the Guanches on Christmas Day in 1495. This victory added the island to the Crown of Castilla. Although it wasn’t the last battle, it practically decided the Guanches defeat.
It is told that when the conquerors were celebrating their triumph with shouts of "¡Victory! ¡Victory!", the Adelantado Fernández de Lugo, joyfully caught in the excitement, promised to build a temple in honour of the Virgin of Los Angeles in the area, under the name Our Lady of the Victory.
There is proof of the temple’s construction, but due to the weakness of its walls, it lacked a bell gable, so the bell had to be hung from a nearby pine, that still exists today and is a symbol and pride of the town.
Historic Interest Places
Dean’s House and Temple of San Juan Bautista
From the beginning of the XVIII century
Temple and Santo Domingo House
Year of 1657
Centenarian Pine Tree next to the Church of Our Lady of La Encarnación
The bell from the first temple was hung from it.